Blaze creates technology for urban cyclists. Our flagship product is the Laserlight; a front light with a laser that projects the symbol of a bike onto the road ahead of the rider, designed to help them to be seen in more situations and thus have a positive effect on rider safety. It began as a consumer product and ships to over 60 countries, but more recently was integrated into the Citi Bike in New York and all of the Santander Cycles in London, with more to be announced.
We are a team of 12 based in Shoreditch, London, in our own office with workshop. We all love to ride our bikes (broadly-speaking, it’s what we have in common). Over the next year, we are looking to expand the team, so it is an exciting time to be joining the company.
About the role
Working across all stages of the development process from initial concept to volume manufacture, this role will be integral to the success of our consumer products. You’ll have client facing opportunities and the chance to explore areas that you’re passionate about, supported by both expertise in electronics engineering as well as a great business team. You’ll understand and advance our vision for bikes and mobility in future cities and want to make the products to achieve it.
- Analogue and digital circuit design.
- PCB design, considering EMC and signal integrity.
- C for embedded systems.
- An understanding of the design requirements for EMC and other regulatory compliance.
- An understanding of the requirements for consumer products, in the way that differs from industrial or other end users.
Other useful skills
- Familiarity with laser optics.
- Power electronics experience, including motor control and switch mode power supply design.
- Thermal management.
- Familiarity with or willingness to learn KiCad, Atmel Studio, simulation software such as LTspice.
- Experienced in taking products through certification processes (CE/FCC, Bluetooth, MFi).
- Integration of wireless modules, such as WiFi, BLE, GSM into hardware.
- At least one scripting language, e.g. Python.
- Working knowledge of IoT protocols.
- Experience with ARM core and AVR microcontrollers.
- Experience with Bluetooth Low Energy.
- Experience in some mechanical and manufacturing processes
What you’ll do
- Design new systems, circuits and devices or improve our existing technology so that our products remain at the forefront of innovative urban cycling.
- Agree work packages with other members of the Design Team.
- Create and test theoretical designs.
- Create and test prototypes and analyse data.
- Support the assessment of new developments or innovations to see if they are workable.
- Prepare technical plans using computer-aided engineering and design software.
- Write technical specifications and reports.
- Systematically improve the detailed design of electronic equipment.
- Take products through to mass manufacture.
- Create user friendly interfaces.
- Communicate and collaborate with mechanical, design and suppliers.
- Participate in project planning (including estimating how long it will take you to complete tasks) and support budget forecasting.
- Enthusiastic, hard-working, technically proficient, with lots of ambition and unlimited drive.
- Self-motivated, and excited about working in a small start-up environment.
- You are thorough, a quick learner and natural problem-solver.
- A strong work ethic is a must – you’ll be taking a level of responsibility for some of our processes and services.
- You’re hands-on and happy to get stuck in with whatever needs doing.
- You’re a self-starter – you’ll gain a lot of experience in this role, but there’s opportunities to improve. Spot opportunities and make your mark.
- You have an eye for detail and can see the bigger picture, and how your role at Blaze fits with this.
- You need to be fanatical about electronics, supporting the end user experience, and probably cycling
Apply with a CV and cover letter to [email protected] Your cover letter should help us find out more about you and your suitability for this role in particular. We will be in touch with successful applicants directly, and this ad will stay live until the role is filled.
- Permanent position
- Competitive salary
- EMI share scheme / company pension
- Employee cycle to work scheme
- Free Santander Cycles hire key
- Office fruit, tea, coffee and Friday drinks
- Perkbox subscription
- Bank holidays plus 24 days paid leave
- Family and friends product discounts